G'day! Sign in or register
GO TO INDEX OF CATALOGUE
Search Result for "1871"
Lot
Description

Status

1871
Australia: A VERY RARE COLONIAL VICTORIA BRASS AND OAK COOPERED FIRE BUCKET FROM HMS NELSON. A well made item consisting of 15 sections of oak timber with 3 coopered brass bands. Large gilt wording to the front of the fire bucket. "HMS NELSON. 120 GUNS. KEEL LAID 1798. LAUNCHED 1814. OUT OF COMSN 1898." Timber and wording, now with a nice aged appearance. (Ex-Naval and Military Club Melbourne - Deutscher and Hacket Auction July 2009, lot 152 realized $6600 plus commission). HMS Nelson was a 126-gun first rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on 4 July 1814 at Woolwich, but then laid up incomplete at Portsmouth until 1854, when she began with a view to commissioning her for service in the Crimean War, but this ended before much work had been done, and the ship returned to reserve. She was converted into a crew ship in 1860, being cut down to a two decker and fitted with an engine of 2,102 indicated horsepower (1567 kW) for a speed of 10.5 knots. In 1865, Nelson was gifted to the colony of Victoria as a training ship, and she was finally outfitted and rigged for 42,000 and sailed for Australia in October 1867. Travelling via the Cape of Good Hope, she arrived in February 1868. She was the first ship to dock in the newly constructed Alfred Graving Dock. Her armament in 1874 was listed as two 7-in RML, twenty 64-lb guns, twenty 32-lb guns and six 12-lb howitzers. During 1879-82, Nelson was further cut down to a single deck and her rig reduced to the main mast only, the ship being reclassified as a frigate. Her old armament was partly replaced by modern breech-loaders. She was laid up at Williamstown in 1891, her boilers removed in 1893. On 28 April 1898 she was put up for auction and sold to Bernard Einerson of Sydney for £2400. In 1900, Nelson was cut down yet again to create a coal lighter that kept the name Nelson, the upper timbers being used to build a drogher named Oceanic. In 1908, "Nelson" was sold to the Union Steamship Co. of New Zealand and in July was towed from Sydney to Beauty Point on the Tamar River, Tasmania, for use as a coal storage hulk. She later foundered there with 1400 tons of coal on board and remained submerged for 40 days until finally refloated. In January 1915 she was towed to Hobart for further service as a coal hulk, until sold in August 1920 to Mr. H Gray for 500 and towed up river to Shag Bay for gradual breaking up, work continuing into the 1930s, although some of her timbers still survive. Grade II.
 NO LONGER AVAILABLE